Monday, April 21, 2008

Book 24 of 2008: The Bitchfight by Michael A. Arnzen



Book Description:

Mike Arnzen, THE BITCHFIGHT. 14,000 words of original fiction from one of horror's up and comers. A nasty tale plumbing the depths of human depravity.

My Opinion:

Hmmm... I didn't find much of a "description" for this one, but that might be the best way to go into reading this short chapterbook.
Michael A. Arnzen calls this a "horror comedy", but honestly, I didn't laugh at all (much like the author of the forward, Brian Hodge). That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the story... it simply means I didn't find the subject matter as humorous. I actually felt quite the opposite about it. If I sound like I'm struggling for words in this "review", that's because I am. I'm still a bit undecided on my true feelings of this novelette. This is my first peek into the writing style of Arnzen and I really like the way he puts his words down on paper, but as for the subject matter of this story, I found it a bit disturbing. I definitely wasn't offended by any means (as it takes a great deal to offend me) but that doesn't mean that subject matter had me thinking a lot. I mean, I can't imagine the events in this book taking place in real life, but if they did... well, I'd probably have a VERY hard time being around this kind of situation and would hope to never have to be. Arnzen definitely has a way with words and describing everything in the book. I honestly felt like I was sitting on the sidelines watching a lot of the events in this book. There were also a few times where I thought that he was going to go somewhere with the story that I was really hoping he didn't go to. (thank you for NOT going those places Arnzen!!!) Of course, having the thought that he MIGHT go there might be saying something a bit about me as well. LOL!!! I do have to wonder where the authors come up with these ideas though. I guess that's why I'm the reader and these other guys are the writers. Maybe one day I'll have a crazy idea or two pop into my head and I'll be able to disturb a few people out there, but in the meantime, I think I'll look for some more books by Arnzen to read!

1 comment:

Mike Arnzen said...

THANK YOU for this thoughtful review of my crazy novelette! Guess what -- I have some of the same ambivalent feelings, too. Had to write the story as it came to me...especially the disturbing stuff. Gracias -- Mike Arnzen, http://gorelets.com