Thursday, May 1, 2008

Book 26 of 2008: Ravenous by Ray Garton



Book Description:

A corpse gets up and walks out of the hospital morgue. Minutes later, a policeman is killed outside the same hospital…and partially eaten. Something deadly has come to the coastal California town of Big Rock—something that's leaving mangled and devoured bodies in its wake.

Sheriff Arlin Hurley refused to believe the wild talk of werewolves. Then a tuft of wolf's fur was found on one of the victims. But there's more than one werewolf on the prowl. It's quickly becoming an epidemic, the curse passed on not through blood but through sex. As the sheriff and his men set out to stop the spreading terror, they'll learn that many of the old werewolf legends are just myths. The reality is far worse.

My Opinion:

So I'm in Waldenbooks and RAVENOUS catches my eye on the shelf so I scoop it up and start reading the back as I'm trying to talk myself out of it since I have so many books at home as it is and really can't afford to buy new books, but then I get to the part in the description about how the "virus" is spread via sex rather than biting and I can't say no to a book like that, so... well... obviously I bought it.

Ironically, 2 days later, Ray Garton friends me here on MySpace. I thought the timing was ironic and pretty darn cool as well. I ended up putting RAVENOUS up next on Mt. TBR in order to get to it and let him know what I thought of it, which is what I'm trying to do now within all this rambling! hee hee!

Anyway, I devoured RAVENOUS within just a few days. I haven't read a lot of werewolf horror books, but I can almost guarantee that even if I had this would be one of my favorites! Garton's writing style is new to me as his other books (I'm ashamed to say) have been waiting on Mt. TBR for quite some time, (though they are definitely getting bumped up now!) but I truly enjoy the way he writes. RAVENOUS was filled with scares, lust, sadness (I really didn't want some of the people that died to die!!!), and tons of suspense. I am truly looking forward to reading more from this author and hopefully a sequel to RAVENOUS one day.

No comments: